- The average time it takes to get a building permit in Hawaii is 17 months.
- This makes it much more difficult for local developers to build houses, decreasing the housing supply, which increases prices.
- Many construction companies outsource materials, and because shipping costs are high, this can also raise costs for local builders, further increasing housing prices.
- Reduce the permitting time to increase the supply of housing.
- Decrease local taxes and increase access to capital grants for development projects.
Reducing permitting time will increase the supply of housing, lowering housing costs. Supporting local developers will make them more competitive against other developers, meaning they will lower prices to compete with one another, consequently lowering housing costs. In addition, assisting local developers will provide a boost to local employment.